Saturday, September 20, 2008

5 Story Pagoda and Kimono Shopping

After the Giant Buddha statue, we walked over to this 5-story pagoda.  It is the 2nd tallest pagoda in Japan.  The current structure is a restoration that was completed in 1426 and is 50.1 meters.

After lunch our guide Setsko-san took us to a vintage kimono shop (aka thrift shop):


The little salesclerk helped me tie my kimono and pick out an obi (the part that ties around the middle):

I should've thrown the peace sign - then you wouldn't be able to tell that I'm an American ;)


...then she got really into it (because our guide told her we were actually going to buy one) - and she tied the back up how it is supposed to be - it took 20 minutes and 2 women to tie it!

It was so cool - I'll never be able to have it look this neat again!!  It was only about $70 for this kimono/obi purchase, where it would've been about $250-$300 back in Okinawa!!

Michael treated me to some Tiffany's gifts :)

ahh... how I've missed my American conglomerates :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like tiffany too, Michael! :-)