Friday, August 10, 2007

I've got what!?

Who gets pink eye at the age of 26? Me evidently. Just woke up with it this morning...which means we were able to make my obligatory first trip to the Naval Hospital ER during our first week here (just like at Lejeune when I sliced my finger open). Aren't I something. At least I was able to get some medicine to clear up my cold sores while we were there...smarty pants me forgot and packed it all in the express shipment. Which brings me to our really big news............

WE HAVE A HOUSE ON BASE!! Normally this would not be an "all caps" sort of announcement, but since it means we get to get our babies out of kitty and doggy "jail" (aka boarding kennels) before October 7th (the end of their 180 day quarantine) I am ecstatic!! It will actually be a multiplex, but is bigger than our house at Lejeune----and it has 2.5 baths!!!!!!!!! For anyone who visited, or has lived or is living in, Lejeune, you know we only had one bathroom and it was not very reliable. Also, our express shipment is already on island so after the beautiful gov't furniture is delivered we can get some of our stuff! Maybe it will start to sink in that this is actually "home" for the next three years when we can cook dinner in an oven and the kids can fall asleep on our bed :) For those of you that love to take baths...come to Japan! That is one of the best differences that I have seen thus far. All of their normal bathtubs are extremely deep and huge--I'm in heaven!!

Also, we both took the test for our overseas drivers licenses and passed...that first trek in the car on the lefthand side was....ummm....interesting. We're getting better though! We aren't going to venture real far from the bases until we're more comfortable though. Sorry Ryan--no drifting as of yet... We did test drive the little Mini Cooper today. It was a 1996 but it was the old style. However, it didn't have power steering, the windshield wipers didn't work real well, and it was missing the oil cap...you know, little things. So no Mini for me--gotta give credit to Michael for indulging me though. Still looking for "my" car...

3 comments:

MSB said...

Sorry about the pink eye... it sucks!
But, I am so happy for you that you got base housing and can get the babies out of jail! They will be so happy!
How many bedrooms do you have?? I am still working on your brother that the girls can make the flight!
I watched a No Reservations about Japan last night... if we visit I may have to eat on post a lot!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you have a house now. It will feel like home within time. I'm waiting for pictures...

Anonymous said...

Glad your in a house and that my grandbabies are going to be with you soon. I miss you and hope to talk to you soon. Hope the pink eye clears up. Dad is up in Spokane with Ryan and they stained the deck and getting ready to pour cement and put rock out,also put carpet downstairs. Happy Birthday a little late I know to Michael. Miss you lots and send all our love. Mom